Wednesday, December 30, 2015

Talking to that favorite person



     According to a survey that I read from an online blog – that should stop you in your tracks right there and question my sanity – people who talk to themselves have a genius mentality.




    Wow! I had no idea.
     For years and years, I though I was sliding down a slippery path and becoming like everyone’s mother. Instead, I am told that folks who talk out loud are highly proficient and count on only themselves to figure out what they need.
     It’s true. Thinking aloud helps organize all the stuff floating around in my head.
     So, you see, I’m not alone, and I’m not completely bonkers either. I’m just really smart. Ha!
     On the other hand, it also makes me look insane. Mentally challenged people talk to themselves, right? They’re conversing with the voices inside their heads.
     Now you’ve seen the little white-haired lady in the grocery store mumbling while selecting her one can of Campbell’s soup, a roll of toilet paper and her lottery ticket. You thought she had gone batty from loneliness. Apparently, not. She just might be on the gifted-track.
     When I am talking to myself around the house, my husband is forever asking, “What did you say?”  I blame it on the conversation I am having with the cat and let it go at that.
     If I go to the grocery store without a list and verbalize what I need prior to leaving home, I will remember each item. Otherwise, I get nowhere except a huge bill at the checkout.
      I decided to spend the day talking to myself both at home and in public speculating if there was a remote possibility that brilliant ideas would emerge and tackling tasks would be creatively accomplished like Albert Einstein, Bill Gates and the smartest kid I ever had in school with a 160 IQ – he’ s not President of the US yet, although he might know better than to set himself up for that thankless position.


     I went for my usual walk down our back road without my headset playing lively music, and started coming up with ideas for a new column, except I spoke out loud.  I had fixed on a goal, and talking was a perfect way to achieve it.
     A few snippets dribbled into my head, I talked them through, and rearranged them into a few sentences. By the time I got home, I nearly had a completed column.
     Well, it wasn’t perfectly paragraphed, and it did have grammatical issues. Heck. I could fix that easily the next morning. What a relief to be finished with another piece of writing so effortlessly, and better still, my brain didn’t ache from the pain of working too hard.
     Granted, I had to add a couple more paragraphs, but the skeleton was laid out in my conversation with myself. I hadn’t disturbed the wildlife either, and no one would ever know the results of my little experiment except for you, dear reader, who has followed my thoughts this far down the page.
     Naturally, you and I catch ourselves chattering in public and glance around to see if anyone noticed. You have your embarrassing moment when you look away quickly while covering your mouth in hopes that you weren’t saying something really private – like how I got up to the bathroom in the middle of the night and forgot where I was going.
     That very afternoon I went to a meeting I was running without a written agenda, and I talked to myself about what I needed to cover while the others were chitchatting before we began officially. No one noticed – I don’t think it bothered anyone. The business was accomplished smoothly.
     I talked the directions through as I drove on a different route to another town after listening to my cell phone dish it out in its maddening monotone.  
     You don’t get the least bit disturbed when your grandson at three years talks aloud as he puts on his jacket getting his arms in the right openings and zipping up. Young children are in the study, too.
      Babies learn to speak by listening to grownups and mimicking what they say. Talking is all about practice. We need to hear our voices to learn how to use them.
     Think about how a child learns to read – out loud at first struggling to work hard at combining those syllables together into a sensible thought. Soon, with practice it becomes effortless.
     Haven’t you seen your favorite munchkin talking to himself while he plays with a toy car or favorite stuffed animal?
      A toddler can remain focused by talking through his problems.
If a small boy is playing with his toy cars, he might say, “The small car can fit through this garage door, but the big truck is too big.” At the same time, he’ll test which of the cars fit inside the toy garage.
     A child learns by talking through his actions. By doing so, he remembers for the future how he solved the problem. Talking through it helps him or her deal with the complexities of the world and transfers his knowledge to new situations.
      Why do we quit doing it as adults?
     We “talkies” are the most efficient and intelligent of the bunch. We take the time to listen to our inner voices, aloud and proud!
     So, how did I do writing this “moving” column while on my walk?