Monday, July 20, 2015

Look around you, and above, too


Barcelona restored music theatre

    It is a shame when you travel by foot in a new location, and you are in such a hurry, that you keep your eyes glued forward while rushing to the next tourist spot on your list. I notice people doing that all the time, and I want to yell out to them, "Put away your guidebook and look."

     I explore with all my senses. I insist that I stop and be present to the moment. It is an art that I have learned to improve my travel adventures tenfold.

My solution: Periodically, I find a park bench or sidewalk cafe - it's not hard to do in other countries - and sit for a bit to soak it all in. I find that I don't stand out for locals take time for conversation and relaxation on a regular basis appreciating the manicured wide sidewalks and parks. 

Also, I browse inside stores and buildings that intrigue me from their outsides. I never know what treasure I will uncover like the ceiling of a cafe in Barcelona, or the decorative facade of the restored music theatre. Can I name any of the composers? 

     Others may be able to rattle off all the places that they saw like a travelogue. I, on the other hand, have collected decent memories of a different kind about a particular city. 





Barcelona cafe interior ceiling