Friday, February 14, 2014

It takes as long as it takes

     I don’t understand what the hurry is all about. Do you suppose it is because I am looking at life from my more mature age, or has society shifted to a faster pace and has passed me by?
      It takes as long as it takes. That seems sensible to me. I’m all for a natural, uncluttered approach to living life.
     William Shawn, former editor of the New Yorker magazine made that statement when he talked with his writers about good pieces of writing.
     Shawn went on to explain that many things in life fall under that profound statement. It is up to us to be attentive and sensitive to our responsibilities and our abilities. If it means that we must pressure ourselves a bit, so be it then. Good work comes from untold hours and days of experimenting, reworking and noticing details. In the long run, no one cares that we missed social engagements, left our gardens in disarray and lost nights of sleep. The final product is what they see in front of them, and that is the proof of the pudding.