Wednesday, January 18, 2012

just a plain old day

It's the little things that come on an ordinary day that can be the most satisfying when you get right down to it.

When I was out shoveling the last of the slush off the driveway, I purposely took my time and made it an event out of it. I took  three or four deep breaths of fresh air and faced into the sunlight to soak in those healthy rays. That was the sensible thing to do. An hour of pushing my arms and legs would be my exercise I figured. I had on my snow cleats and my traction would not limit my movements.

Looking up into the trees I spotted a bird or two, and for the life of me, I couldn't recognize one with a yellow throated belly. I contemplated it for a bit, and then it came to me--a sparrow. Now sparrows might be ordinary birds in nature's line-up, but in my estimation it was lovely to have a little companion hovering overhead watching me.

The post lady drove up to my mailbox and and delivered a stack of assorted sizes and shaped envelopes like she does each day. I depend on her without giving it a whole lot of thought. Through all kinds of weather the mail comes through, and even on a normal day like yesterday, she was on our road like clockwork. We waved and she moved on up the road. Her route was coming to an end, and she would return to the post office.

After I finished the shoveling I went across the road to gather the mail. I sifted through, but there was nothing unusual about the bundle--too many pieces of junk mail and not one bill. Well, I could be thankful for that! It used to be that I would look forward to a letter or two from someone almost every day. It doesn't happen anymore.

I was most satisfied that the temperatures were quite comfortable for a January day, and I didn't have to be bundled up like a snowman hurrying to get inside. Most of all, it was the ordinariness of the day that made me satisfied that I was living it well.