Friday, November 4, 2011

a perfect "ten" reminds me of the joy piloting a single-engine plane in the valley sky




A veteran pilot


says
it takes
one hundred poor landings
before achieving
a perfect touchdown.

In the meantime
I practice and practice.

I hold my breath
on flaring anticipating
another
bumpy landing.
It’s an impossible task
to keep everything
coordinated…..

In the meantime
I practice and practice.

My flight instructor
offers critiques
coupled
with praise
when I
almost
get it right.

In the meantime
I practice and practice.

Encouragement
comes
from experienced pilots
hanging out.

“It’s a feeling

you’ll get”
“A break through
will happen.”

In the meantime
I practice and practice.

One bright
cloudless day
on final approach
it all comes
together.
I land
on the numbers.
The wheels announce
A Perfect Ten Touchdown.