Tuesday, October 25, 2011

it ain't necessarily so

I must have been on the fast track to the library when I was a kid, and not the Long Island Railroad tracks either. My mind was forever bubbling over with questions and curiosities, and my parents and teachers trained me well to check out what I needed to know in the encyclopedia.
It was a grand day at our house when my parents bought "The Book of Knowledge" with its accompanying annual supplements. You would have thought that I had died and gone to heaven, except I was on the floor by the bookshelf reading cover to cover without any purpose whatsoever but pure joy.
I don't suppose that I gave any thought to the accuracy of information, nor its current date. Probably I presumed that if it said so in the encyclopedia, then it had to be so. That came later when I started to scrutinize books, newspapers and encyclopedias for those significant points, which made acquiring knowledge a bigger deal.
It ain't necessarily so...all the glut of information that I get bombarded with on blogs, news feeds, social media, not to mention Wikipedia and Google today. There has to be a much more careful review of what I read and hear before I will lay claim to those facts as truthful. Urban legends aside, I have a bigger challenge in making up my mind which set of truths I will accept, and which I will cast aside.