Saturday, September 17, 2011

mcgregor clan pours the wine well

I spent a fun and relaxing  Friday afternoon at The McGregor Vineyard in Dundee with a wine tasting. Why did I decide to go there? A couple friends recently were talking about the place as their favorite winery, and since I hadn't been there in a long time, I decided to break my normal Keuka Lake pattern.
The drive up the hill overlooking Keuka Lake was dotted with some very lovely homes with decks that were far away from the road traffic below on Route 54. Any one of them I wouldn't mind calling my own!
What I  appreciated about the wine tasting was that McGregor's does it seated and with your own personal host who takes plenty of time with you to learn your wine preferences. Of course, fall weekends are a bit more lively, but it is all in your desire for more or less crowds.
For the afternoon my favorite choices were the '07 Pinot Noir, '06 Black Russian Red and the '07 Merlot Reserve. However, I was pleasingly surprised with the '2010 Rose d' Cabernet Franc for its light, crisp fruity taste.
It all made sense to me to join the McGregor clan, and receive clan packs of wine in the mail every other month, along with invites to special events there.