Saturday, September 24, 2011

calling all lima bean stories

A lot of things have been on my mind this past week including a reawakening of a childhood favorite-lima beans. What makes this all so fascinating is that the more people that I asked to share a "lima bean true life adventure," the more amazing tidbits of information that I received with glimpses of their childhood eating habits.
I can picture one friend forced to choke down those green vegetables, and how her competent child-rearing today has made healthy choices available on the table without all the stress.
Then a second friend who comes from a home where his mom is known as a terrific cook, suffered from "the vegetable medley." The art of picking out the lima beans was his to accomplish!
Several friends told me that all their siblings had different reactions to the bean, which is natural, but they could still remember "the sturdy resistor" at the table to this day.
I guess that I am not so far off on my mark: it's a love 'em or hate 'em relationship with those pesky little, stick- in-your teeth lima beans. For me, I have come realize that it is a comfort food that serves me well.