Wednesday, July 6, 2011

the courage of your clothes

My mind has been knocking around a thought-- how the clothes we wear have a direct connection to our courage.
Several years ago when I would workout early mornings in the gym, one of the oldest members-92 and going strong at the time, would come in wearing her PINK sweatshirt bearing the message, "when I get old I will wear purple."
 One day I asked her outright what it felt like to be 92, and she looked at me in disbelief that I would even ask that question. She paused looking directly at me.
A smile crossed her lips slowly from one side to the other. "The same way I felt at 18," she replied, and moved on to the treadmill for her walking routine leaving me scratching my head.
Now that took courage I would say to not allow any stereotyped clothing to invade her life. She was living life to the fullest!