Tuesday, July 5, 2011

a b&b with country charm and attention to detail

For a brief time I became a tourist in my very own  Finger Lakes region, and designed my getaway to Cayuga Lake.

 
I started with the Finger Lakes Bed and Breakfast Association website searching for lodging that would fit the bill. My only requirements were for a place close to the winery trail and out in the country near a small town.
I found the The Black Walnut Bed and Breakfast
 
 on 4278 East Covert Road in Interlaken ( near Trumansburg.)

I was more than delighted when I arrived at the beautifully restored 1800's farmhouse with outstanding decorative touches throughout the house. It was one of those places that was not artificial at all, and I felt that I could plop down in any chair comfortably.

The steep stairs to the upstairs bedrooms might put frowns on some people's faces, but it was not an issue for me. My room, the Sunflower Room, was everything in a typical old bedroom down to the creaky wide floor boards and slanted ceiling on one side personalizing its character. Nary a ghost  was to be found as far as I could sense, though, and it made we wonder more what secrets the original owners were not sharing.

One positive thing about the entire visit was the careful attention to detail by the hosts. From our first contact via phone, Jack Moore asked all the right questions, and even found a perfect place for an anniversary dinner at a nearby restaurant--The Hazelnut Kitchen
 
in Trumansburg. We were most impressed with that dining choice, and would not probably have found it without some local advice.

Breakfast in the morning was nutritious and boy, did I love the walnut pancakes and Gimme coffee, which incidentally, I had to go out and purchase some bags of beans before leaving the area.

The closest winery, The Americana Vineyards
 
, was an easy walk down the country road, and from there on Route 89 were other vineyards such as The Thirsty Owl, Lucas Vineyards, Sheldrake Point and Goose Watch. 
Would I stay at The Black Walnut myself again? Absolutely, without a doubt. It's already bookmarked for my next visit.