Monday, April 18, 2011

a perfect bbq on a perfectly cold day in april

Downtown Hammondsport has a brand new restaurant, Champaigne Bar-B-Que, that is something to rave about!  It's a little bit upscale casual for a regular bbq joint, but pleasant indeed for lunch or dinner. There is table, bar and booth seating in a cozy space with the bar made from a boat hull. It takes the place of former restaurant that didn't survive.
I had the smoked sausage and chicken gumbo, and it hit the spot, while my tablemate had the pulled pork sandwich with mac/cheese. I sampled a little pork, and it was smooth and well-cooked without too much salt. Proper seasoning has become a big thing with me, and when good food is destroyed with too much salt, I am not going back. Not the case, though at the Champaigne Bar-B-Que. The table was set with  three different bbq sauces, and by summer the server said that they will be selling their brand. Local wine and beer were available, too. I will be back to try from their dinner menu. Prices were very reasonable, too.
I didn't notice a website yet, but here is the basic information:
Champaigne Bar-B-Que
41 Shethar Street
Hammondsport, NY 14840
(607)246-4075