Monday, April 11, 2011

a never-ending saga buils up and up and up



 “That’s it,” I told my husband when we put on the new metal roof three years ago.  In my reasoning I figured that the roof was good to go long after we were walking on the earth. Someone else would have to worry about replacement costs.

 Yippee!  No more home restoration projects. We could sit back and live in our house without the inconvenience of construction interruptions of any kind. All the company we had put off could be invited since the guest bathroom was now ready, the painting done and the landscaping complete.

 Wrong! I should have known better. What could I have been thinking? Homeownership always equals another project in the works. It’s a fact of life like calamity, which comes at the wrong time right in the middle of the busiest week in the month.

 “It’s a never ending cycle, so you should be used to it by now,” said my husband when he told me that we needed to fix our front sidewalk because it wouldn’t make it through another winter safely.

 That wouldn’t have been too bad except that a contractor was putting in a new driveway for our neighbor and cut us a good deal if we wanted to do ours, too.

“Here we go with the domino effect again,” I grumbled.

 “But it is a chance of a lifetime, and it will go nicely with the new sidewalk,” said my husband.

 “If we do the driveway that means we have to re-landscape along the sides to get the right drainage slope.” I said.

 “It all goes together. You don’t understand,” my husband retorted. His patience with me was shot I could tell.

 In the meantime I hurriedly went to hide my “wish list” journal containing my ultimate household dreams for fear that my husband had been reading it. I had a few other simple projects that would be nice, but not necessary like high fencing around his many outside project materials he had collected from living here for thirty years.

Yup! That is happening, too.

  “How can we not do it? While our dependable high school apprentice is here the posts can be set in the ground. You’ve wanted that for years,” said my husband.

Granted I have spent more time at the lumberyard and hardware store than other stores that I would rather be, but it is a great place to commiserate with others homeowners who are in the same boat. There must be some comfort in it as I look at the faces of all the other happy homeowners picking out their products for their projects.

Last night my daughter and her husband called and said that they were putting a purchase offer on a new home. We were delighted for them. We wouldn’t think of dampening their joy with the fact that there would be more to do once they move in.

 “Oh, well, they’ll learn,” I said.

Personally, I think that we are done for the summer, and maybe for a awhile if I hold my breathe.
 No sooner had I congratulated myself for the ordeal being over when I hear a cry from the kitchen.

“Honey, the dishwasher is making horrible groans in its rinse cycle,” my husband yells out. “We’ve got to plan for a new one.”

Maybe a new dishwasher will be the last one that I ever buy in my lifetime if we get one with a long-term guarantee. Could it be that things don’t last as long as they used to, and we are being programmed to expect to continually replace items?

 We’re always building for the future. Who knows anymore!
Life is great! We’re out to enjoy it. Call us tomorrow.