Saturday, February 5, 2011

another meal worth remembering

Not every meal is around a table, nor with family or friends.
 One dinner that I will never ever forget is the first meal that I ate on a bed tray at Highland Hospital after the birth of my daughter.
I was all alone in the room having just woken up from a deep, satisfying sleep.  Keep in mind that in "those days" husbands and family weren't in on the delivery process, and were banished to some relegated lounge for the duration.
My adrenalin was still on high, and I was as hungry as a horse when the nurse brought in a complete chicken dinner down to apple pie for dessert. If I remember correctly, I think that I had put my order in for this meal, and I suppose that I was treating myself to a job well done.
So there I sat propped up all by myself having this delicious meal, and slowly getting the notion into my head that I was a mother now.