Wednesday, December 29, 2010

those irksome New Year's resolutions

     Nobody could care less about my New Year’s resolutions, but since I never make any, that should end the discussion right then and there. Coming up with resolutions and then breaking them within three or four weeks has always seemed pretty ridiculous to me. They are just not what they are cracked up to be anyhow.
     
     Am I the only one who finds it a touch silly that people gorge themselves in December, and in January go to the gym expecting all that extra weight to slip off immediately?  Does it ever occur to them how much effort that they put into adding up those pounds in the first place? Likewise, it will take more energy to take the pounds off. As soon as they don’t see any results, it’s back to using the gym halfheartedly along with heading off for a pastry as a reward before going home. That doesn’t make much sense to me whatsoever!
     Instead, I face the music that I have put on a few extra pounds over the holidays, but the friendships renewed with family is way more important in my book. But slow and steady will work for me keeping at my usual routines taking those pounds off, and before you know it I will be back into my favorite jeans. It’s amazing how much weight I can take off walking, snowshoeing and cross country skiing right out my back door without leaving my own property. Don’t get me wrong, though. My gym friends will see me there, too, for the weight bearing exercises that I need to do.

     Since weight resolutions are number one on the popularity list for New Year’s, then keeping up with day by day chores before they get the best of you must be number two. I marvel at the people who multi-task themselves to death at work, and yet when they come home they crash into their slovenly ways as if no one will ever know. I’ve always been a working lady and have found that it is not worth the mental stress to be compulsively neat at home. I go for the compromise approach. If it bothers my husband all that much then he has been known to clean out the fridge or knock down some dust balls. We have no gender distinction when it comes to household duties, and I have my mother-in-law to thank for training her son well.
         I would bet that the third most popular resolution is trying harder at keeping connected with distant family members and friends without letting weeks, months, and shamefully years go by in between until it becomes far too embarrassing to get in touch. Frankly, I admit that I used to be poor at that skill myself. Lately, more often than not, when the mood strikes and someone comes to mind, I will pick up the phone or jot off an e-mail without letting my head touch the pillow at night. I feel so much more contented because I haven’t procrastinated. Friendships keep us going. In my husband’s ever- growing family for example, getting better acquainted with some of the younger ones-the great nephews or newly married nieces and their husbands, is proving a blessing. We now have a whole circle of younger relatives, and it is exciting seeing them interested in knowing more about us, too.

           At the end of December I love to sit back with a hot cup of coffee and think about all the new people that have entered my life during the prior months because of different activities and places that I have been. I am grateful for each and every one of them. In my estimation that proves that I am engaging with life actively! I’ve never been one to continue with the “same old-same old”  routine year after year.
     
    


Well, 2011 is about to chime in and I am happy about turning over a new leaf. By year’s end I want to be surprised at what I will have accomplished without trying to micro-manage my life along the way. I have some really, really big plans, and maybe some of them will take shape.  If they don’t, something else will turn up that is even far more exciting that I will grab hold of and run with. I am free to do that without those silly resolutions tugging at me and weighing me down.