Monday, July 12, 2010

Engaging with artisans satisfies at a smaller festival like at Hammondsport

When I go to a smaller arts' festival such as the  Hammondsport Arts Festival last weekend, the uniqueness of the event affords me a chance to spend a little time talking with individual artisans.The crowds are manageable, and I don't feel that I am in a herd of cattle being pushing and shoved. My goal is not to take in  more booths than I could possibly handle in one afternoon, but I want quality time to peruse.

Hammondsport has such the personalized and smaller event. Certainly the artisans present are as well-accomplished regionally,  and in some cases, nationally known, as in the bigger festivals. I  like that a lot, and it is inspiring to my creative juices looking at colors, shapes and textures along with sharing thought processes with artists.

The weather was perfect on Saturday with lowering temperatures and sunny skies, so wandering around visiting long time friends and meeting new ones was wonderful. The square in the  village is such a picturesque place for a festival. With the Hornell Brass Ensemble playing in the band shell, I could stroll peacefully humming a familiar tune, too.

Dick Lang, Alfred potter, has been a friend for years and years, and the neat thing about looking around his display is that he is forever moving in new directions with his art. Lang's  sleek shapes and glazes are modern and beautifully crafted. When in need of a wedding gift or even splurging to add to my own collection, Lang's Studio is where I go.

Dick Lang in his studio in Alfred

Kay Brooks dinnerware


I was also glad to visit with another old time friend, Kay Brooks of Belmont, who designs functional pottery. Her dinnerware comes  in a several glazes that are signature to her. My eyes rested on some  wine glasses in a deep tan glaze with drizzles of black falling down the sides. Probably by her fall show on the October Allegheny Artisans Studio tour I will own those wine goblets!



My purchase for the day was an electic combination of weaving bits that was turned into a colorful necklace by  Len Curran of Alfred. I can't wait to wear it with a black sweater for my fiber arts' friends to feast their eyes on! She told me that  after she has made her lovely woven scarves there are always pieces left over, and this idea came in her head  to creatively incorporate them into something new. Apparently, her pieces were a hit that day as others were checking them out, too.

I had a terrific day at the Hammondsport Arts' Festival!