Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Keuka overlook cellars high on my list

When you live in the Finger Lakes region and enjoy an occasional wine tasting, you tend to return to your favorites. Those are the places where you take your out of town visitors, too, because of positive past experiences.  Right?
Friday I mixed it up a bit near Keuka Lake and after a delicious lunch at the Union Square Italian Bistro in Hammondsport I went up the hill to a different winery recommended by friends that are wine enthusiasts. After all isn't it  our love of the wine  that brings us out?

That's how I ended up at Keuka Overlook Cellars -www.keukaoverlook.com
 from Hammondsport take 54 north to 577 Old Bath Road, Dundee, 14837

 I  met owner, Bob Barrett who entertained as he poured wine. Bob had a joke for everyone's palate, in between serving some excellent quality wine in his cellar showroom. He would slip in some information about wines indicating his depth of knowledge without being all too serious about the whole thing.
Perhaps not as fancy as some of the other larger establishments in appearance,  I found  the samplings that I did worthy, and purchased some Chardonnay Reserve.
Smaller wineries do everything by hand including the bottling. Often they are more typical  of Finger Lakes establishments  before many became  commercialized.
Bob mentioned as I left that across the road is the bed and breakfast that his wife, Terry, and him own and operate. What a lovely setting on top of the hill right in the middle of wine country overlooking the lake.
I'll be back!