Tuesday, June 15, 2010

have a tasting at Hunt Country Vineyards when you're in the neighborhood


You're tired happily from the ins and outs of a summer festival in the Finger Lakes region, and not quite ready to call it a day. What to do? Easy.  Check out a winery for some relaxing moments before heading home.

I did that very thing last Sunday and chose a winery that  I had always meant to stop at, but somehow never did.

As far as I am concerned,  part of the winery experience  is the outside setting, and Hunt Country Vineyards ( www.huntwines.com ) in Branchport offers a long driveway between grapevines to get you into the mood. Beyond the parking lot are rows and rows of grape arbors. The farm is in the distance and the tasting room is settled into the trees.


I did see something unique in the middle of the vineyard, though, that caught my eye. Yes, it was spinning and not my head. It was a  vertical axis wind turbine  installed in the vineyards and happily generating electricity.  It is one more step toward their  ultimate goal of energy self-sufficiency.


Inside the modern spacious tasting room were the usual wine gifts and a comfortable setting for partaking.

The tasting was pleasant, and the server was friendly and efficient. Perhaps it was a bit more assembly line than I would have liked, but it was late in the day. However, I was impressed with the Pinot Gris 2008, and thought how well it would go with salmon and a pasta dish.  I also really liked the Alchemy, a dry red wine with a hint of black cherry, oak and light pepper. All the grapes that are used in the process are 100% New York State.

Going home satisfied with a new adventure under my belt was the perfect ending to the weekend!