Saturday, December 19, 2009

Union Square Italian Bistro Seems Like Being in Rome


I wasn't sure what to expect when I went to the Union Square Italian Bistro in Hammondsport, because there are Italian restaurants and then there are Italian restaurants.This place fits the bill of an authentic Italian bistro in every way.It was small, intimate, yet pleasant. The wait staff was extremely attentive and welcoming, and the choices on the menu very varied. I chose an arugula salad and eggplant fussili that were delicious. In fact, I had never tasted such an interesting sauce on the pasta. Of course, I had to have taramasu for dessert, and was I glad for its creamy taste melted in my mouth. The only thing that I didn't do to keep the meal Italian from beginning to end was that I had Chilian wine ( Apaltagua Reserve 2007 ), which I am partial to. All in all I would definitely return--and soon, to this very charming restaurant.